Easy lemon chicken skewers with herbs and garlic are yummy, healthy and quick which makes them ideal for summer dishes served with easy side dishes.
HOW TO GRILL CHICKEN SKEWERS
To guarantee chicken skewers are hot and yummy, marinate cubed chicken breast or thigh meat at a well-seasoned marinade for up to 24hours prior to cooking. Blend olive-oil, lemon-juice and zest, crushed garlic and herbs of your choice (rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage and peppermint work nicely with poultry ) with pepper & salt and pour over the chicken. After marinating, thread the chicken on soaked metal or bamboo skewers. Soaking wooden skewers prevents them from burning on the grill in the oven. I included a couple of sprigs of fresh-rosemary between the chicken pieces to infuse even more flavor to the skewers.Pre-heat an outside grill or skillet pan then cook the chicken breasts until golden brown (and cooked through) on either side. Remove from the heat and let it rest for 5 mins prior to serving.
CAN YOU FREEZE MARINATED CHICKEN SKEWERS?
Yes, you can suspend marinated chicken skewers. Marinate the chicken then thread the meat onto soaked wooden skewers/metal skewers and put in freezer bags or a freezer-proof container in one layer before putting in the freezer. Skewers can be suspended for up to a month and have to be de-frosted thoroughly before cooking.
CAN YOU COOK CHICKEN SKEWER IN THE OVEN?
Yespre-heat the grill or broiler of your oven and cook the chicken skewers, turning every 5 mins till golden brown and cooked through.
CAN YOU PUT WOODEN SKEWERS IN THE OVEN?
Soaking wooden skewers to get a minimum of 30 mins in boiling water can keep them from burning on the grill in the oven.
Easy herby lemon skewers
For the Marinade
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh-thyme
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2-3 garlic-clove crushed
- 1 tsp dried-oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¼ cup olive-oil
- ¼ cup lemon-juice
For the Skewers
- 4 large chicken-breasts skinless, boneless
- wooden skewers-soaked in boiling water for 30 mins
- Blend all of the ingredients for the marinade.
- Put the chicken to bite-sized chunks & put into a bowl. Pour over the marinade, cover & let it marinade for at least 30 mins but around 24hours, covered in the refrigerator.
- Thread the marinated-chicken on soaked wooden-skewers or metal-skewers.
- Heat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill-pan then cook the skewers, turning each 3-5 mins, till the chicken is cooked through & golden-brown on all sides.
- Remove from the heat & let it rest for 5 mins before serving.