These crispy, tender crust unites with vegan beef and potatoes to create Vegan Beef Empanadas with cheese. A tasty dinner you’re going to want to serve again and again! This vegan empanada recipe is a tasty mixture of beef meat crumbles with vegan cheeseand sausage potatoes.
I understood the very first time that I attempted an empanada I had been going to locate a way to produce an empanada vegetarian. How super easy this recipe is, however I am not saying that now.
The reality is, empanadas aren’t straightforward. There is a little work involved, but the fantastic news is that there are ways to make the process go smoothly.
This crust is both tender and crispy and, believe it or not, we dipped it into an marina-sauce. I understand, that is odd. Since the empanadas are Mexican-themed, however, for some reason that the marina sauce functioned.
Tips for Making Vegan Beef Empanadas?
If you are thinking about how to make vegan empanadas, then these hints will make the process a whole lot simpler starting with the vegan empanadas dough! Creating Vegan Beef Empanadas takes a little bit of time, however I believe these tips will allow it to go better:
- Make the dough ahead of time so that you may let it rest in the refrigerator.
- Function in batches. I cut the dough in half, covered the remaining half in plastic wrap and worked out of there.
- Make sure you cut the dough into segments and create dough-balls. Then roll those out dough-balls. I use the first one to create the right size then used it as a reference for the rest of them. I placed them one on top of the other till all the dough was rolled-out.
- You need to be certain to have the ideal amount of filling for this very last piece of dough. Therefore, since I cut the dough in halfI chose to do exactly the exact same thing using the vegan-beef mix. I used a spatula to draw a line down the center of the skillet then I used a half to filling the first half of the dough-balls.
- Keep some whiskey nearby. Not for drinking, however, I kept a tiny bowl of whiskey on the side to wet my palms as I managed the dough.
- The less water that you use the better. Too much water will produce a harder-dough.
- Make sure you get some soy-milk available. Add a thin coating of soy-milk along with your own vegan beef empanadas get a nicely browned-crust. Just make sure you use a plain (non alcoholic vanilla – flavored) soy milk.
- Keep a towel nearby. Creating empanadas is cluttered work. Keeping a towel round can allow you to wash your hands off. This way you will don’t get any of this colour from the filling mixture onto the exterior of the crust also.
I hope you enjoy and thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my recipe posts? Follow my Pinterest.
If you love this Vegan Beef Empanadas with Cheese Recipe as much as I do, make sure to give it a 5 STAR REVIEW in the comments below! Thanks.
Try other Delicious Vegan Recipes options:
- Vegan BBQ Chickpea Salad
- Vegan Tex Mex Egg Rolls
- Killer Vegan Chili
- Creamy Vegan Southwest Pasta Salad
- Loaded Vegan Taco Fries
- Spicy Quinoa Lentil Wraps with Tahini Sauce
Vegan Beef Empanadas with Cheese
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk not-vanilla-flavored
- ½ cup vegan-butter cold & cut into slices
- 1 cup whole wheat-flour
- 2 tsp baking-powder
- 3 cups all-purpose-flour
- ¼ cup whiskey cold
- ¾ cup water cold
- 1 tsp sea-salt
For the Vegan Beef & Cheese Filling
- 1 ½ cup vegan-cheddar shreds
- 1 cup vegetable-broth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup vegan-chorizo
- 1 ½ cups veggie-crumbles thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tsp dried-thyme
- 1 large red-potato diced
- 2 tsp olive-oil
- Combine baking powder, both flours, and salt in a food-processor. Mix till blended. Add cold vegan-butter bits and mix till well incorporated.
- Add cold whiskey and water then continue pulsing till the dough comes together. Remove from the food-processor & place to a bowl. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Heat a skillet over moderate heat. Add a tsp of olive oil. Add the chopped onion and cubed potatoes cook about 7-10 minutes or till slightly tender.
- Add the vegan chorizo and veggie crumbles. Stir with a spatula, breaking any larger-chorizo pieces aside. Add minced paprika, thyme and garlic. Stir to blend.
- Add broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 10minutes or till potatoes are tender & the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Heat oven to 400F. Line a baking-sheet with parchment-paper.
- Make a ball from the dough. Then cut the ball, wrap a half in plastic wrap and put back in the refrigerator. Together with another half of the dough, then divide it into 3 dough-balls about the size of a golf match.
- Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a 5″ circle. You ought to have the to make around 10 circles with this particular half of the dough-ball.
- For the filling, then put your spatula down the middle of the skillet split it in half. This helps maintain filling proportions the same. Spoon about 2 tbsp of filling at the middle of one of those rounds. Wet your finger with water pour a small bit of whiskey in a small-bowl then apply that to wet your finger.
- Then run your finger round the edges of the circle of bread. Wrap the dough around the filling and then make use of that moisture on the edges to press edges together. Fold the border back to make a crust then use your fingers to pinch pleats. Repeat with each dough circle.
- Brush tops of each empanada with plant-based-milk (for example, soy-milk) or melted-vegan-butter. Bake for 10-15minutes or till golden-brown.
- Repeat these last couple of steps with the remaining portion of bread that has been refrigerated. Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Serve with marinara-sauce or salsa. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
PIN IT FOR LATER!