There are loads of potato latke recipes on the market, but these are unique since they contain (no diary, gluten, eggs or grains).
This is a fairly standard vegan egg replacement fixing, so it made sense to begin there. Too much leaves the latkes look very unappetizing, but also small makes them fall apart. The sweet spot is about 2 tbsp.
You will discover that the recipe doesn’t involve creating a flax-egg (mixing flax-egg & water then allow it stand to thicken before blending it in the batter). That is not a mistake. There’s loads of moisture from potatoes the flax will consume. There’s not any need to include more.
Non-Traditional and Traditional Potato Latkes
It was be much easier than I thought to create non-traditional potato-latkes, that would be to state that eliminating the egg was not as devastating as I believed.
It took more tries to find out that the best egg and wheat substitute ingredients was a mix of tapioca-flour, blanched almond-flour and flax-meal.
Note for the Potato Latkes Recipe:
- I used a box grater for those potatoes (it is a lot easier to wash), however you can use whichever tool works best for you personally.
- To create these paleo compliant, sub white sweet-potatoes for white-potatoes.
- To create these nut-free, remove the almond-milk and utilize 1 1/2 tbsp tapioca-flour rather.
- Onion-powders may run the gamut concerning quality. I enjoy using dried aromatics for the convenience variable, but be certain that you use something which is made up of merely onions.
- I shallow fry my latkes, meaning that there must be a generous (minimal 1/2″) coating of oil onto the base of the pan before adding the latkes. If you like to fry yours, make sure there’s sufficient oil to fully for the latkes and preheat it into 370-375° prior to cooking.
- Don’t use olive-oil to cook them. It does not hold up to high heat cooking. Coconut-oil works well because of its slightly higher smoke point, but that I favor avocado-oil.
- To create those with 1 lb of sweet potatoes instead of white-potatoes: utilize 1/2 cup tapioca-flour rather than 3 tbsp, 10 tbsp (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp ) almond-flour, as well as 1/4 cup of water as addition flax-meal, onion-powder and salt called for in the recipe.
- In addition, I suggest adding 1 beaten egg into the sweet-potato batter, though clearly the latkes will no more be vegan. After cooking, press on the latkes down just a bit flatter than envisioned to make sure they cook evenly.
I hope you enjoy and thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my recipe posts? Follow my Pinterest.
If you love this Potato Latkes Recipe as much as I do, make sure to give it a 5 STAR REVIEW in the comments below! Thanks.
Try other Delicious Recipes options:
- Blueberry Banana Protein Baked Oatmeal
- Keto Air Fryer Fried Pickles (Paleo, Whole30)
- Easy Keto and Whole30 Taco Bake Recipe
- Vegan Tex Mex Egg Rolls
- Delicious One Pot Taco Pasta
- Best of Easy Falafel Recipe
Potato Latkes Recipe – (Egg Free, Gluten free, Vegan)
- 3 tbsp tapioca-flour
- 1 lb potatoes
- 2 tbsp flax-meal
- ¾ tsp onion-powder
- 3 tbsp blanched almond-flour
- ¼ tsp fine sea-salt (Optional)
- 2 tsp avocado-oil or grapeseed-oil (or more for frying)
- Peel and shred your potatoes. Let shredded potatoes sit for a few minutes, then wrap them with a clean kitchen towel & squeeze as much moisture from these as possible.
- In a small-bowl combine together the flax-meal, tapioca-flour, onion-powder and almond-flour. Then add the flour mixture into the shredded-potatoes, and toss to coat well. Add the oil and blend well.
- Preheat a skillet or dutch oven. Add enough oil to create at least a ½ inchi coating in the base of the pan and allow it to heat till it sizzles when you drop down a shred of potato in it.
- Use an ice cream-scoop to portion your latkes. Roll each spade securely into a ball, then press lightly to a pancake.
- Put each pancake into the prepared pan. Cook till the bottom is deep golden-brown, then flip & cook till the other hand reaches exactly the exact same colour.
- Remove from pan & put onto a plate coated with several-sheets of paper-towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve immediately. You can add some topping with apple-sauce, sour-cream or plain-yoghurt, chopped-chives, chopped green-onions, along with even a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
PIN IT FOR LATER!